Sunday, June 20, 2010

Bittersweet

I think you have to reach a certain age to appreciate the meaning of the word bittersweet. I am of *a certain age* (and have been for a certain long time) and this Father's Day is a bittersweet one for sure. My beloved father-in-law, Marvin Cooley, is very ill and in the hospital with multiple issues, not the least of which is congestive heart failure. While he might get a bit better, we have no illusions that this 92 year old is going to be out working in his garden anytime soon.

I am also remembering some of the better times with my own dad who's been gone for a year and a half now. Each of them so different from the other, but each of them occupies his own special place in my heart and my memories. My dad was a gregarious man with an intoxicating zest for life that was also contagious. He loved travel and instilled the same love of it in me. The picture below is of Dad, my nephew Colin giving Dad the rabbit ears, and me on our way up to Hanging Lake in Colorado in 1997. Dad was 77 years old at the time and had a heart condition so it was with great reluctance that just a short distance from the top (the climb is about a 1000 foot total rise in elevation in about a one mile hike) he had to stop and let us go on without him.


Marvin has always been a great naturalist and has filled his life - and ours - with a myriad of ways of learning about and enjoying nature. Some day I'll write about the "Barbara Lily" but today I'll just post this picture of him at the cottage near Mackinaw with his grandson Zach, circa 1979.


How sweet that Marvin is still here. Happy Father's Day, to both of my dads, and thank you. Love, Your Daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment