Tuesday, June 1, 2010

On the topic of quitting smoking...


Ever since I posted a few thoughts about my 10 year anniversary of quitting smoking, and my experiences online, I've wanted to add a very important "thank you" to someone who proved to be a special source of support. Sometimes support comes from unexpected places and that's what I found when I decided to finally kick my nicotine habit of 29 years.

In the spring of 2000, someone half the age of my addiction, and one too young to know much about addiction, stepped up and decided to be my personal coach, cheerleader, buddy, and mentor. My wise-beyond-his-years nephew, Colin, got all in my business (as the ubiquitous *they* say) and sent me instant messages, emails, notes and cards, and walked that difficult path alongside me. When I thought I wasn't going to be able to do it, he assured me that I could and I would. When I bemoaned my weight gain, he reminded me that if I could quit smoking then certainly I could lose the weight when the time came. He even planned a surprise celebration for me in honor of my first 100 days without cigarettes with my entire family gathered around to support my efforts. I still have some of his emails and the cards and a hand-lettered sign he made for me ten years ago. I'll always have his love and support in my heart, and sweet, fresh air in my pink, healthy lungs. Thank you, Colin. I couldn't have done it without you, my favorite oldest nephew.

PS: I took that picture of Colin peering through a rock formation on the Colorado National Monument, outside of Grand Junction, Colorado in 1997. It's without a doubt the best picture I've ever taken. Of the best oldest nephew. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment